Passionate About Protecting Your Rights

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody & Child Support Matters
  4.  » Enforcement Of Child Custody, Child Support And Alimony

Get Legal Help To Enforce Court Orders

Obtaining a child custody order, a child support order or an order for alimony as part of a divorce may not be the end of the story. If you need help with enforcement of a court order in Maryland, Reinstein, Glackin & Herriott, LLC, is here for you.

Enforcement Of Child Custody

If your child’s other parent consistently makes it difficult or impossible to follow your child custody order, you may pursue one or more of these methods of enforcement:

  • Negotiate with the other parent and try to arrive at a more workable means of transferring your child between your homes or otherwise solving the problem.
  • Call 911 if you believe your child is in danger.
  • Take your child custody order back to court and ask a judge to issue more detailed instructions.
  • Ask for a modified custody order giving you full physical and legal custody.
  • Ask a family law judge to hold the other parent in contempt of the court.

At our Annapolis-based law firm, we have successfully helped many other divorced and separated parents enforce custody orders.

Enforcement Of Child Support

If your spouse or partner has been ordered to pay you child support and persistently neglects to pay, the state may take one or more of the following actions, as described by the Maryland Department of Human Services:

  1. Withhold child support from wages or other sources of income
  2. Intercept tax refunds
  3. Report nonpaying parents to credit bureaus
  4. Suspend driver’s licenses
  5. Intercept Maryland lottery winnings
  6. Garnish bank accounts
  7. Suspend or revoke a professional or recreational license
  8. Block the issuance or renewal of a passport

With our help in the early stages of noncompliance, you may be able to resolve the problem some other way and avoid triggering such measures against your child’s other parent.

Enforcement Of Alimony

If you are paying alimony, you may believe you have cause to stop paying. Consult with an attorney before taking action on your own.

On the other hand, if your former spouse has stopped paying alimony, you can get an attorney to ask the court to hold him or her in contempt of court. Ask an attorney about ways to recover unpaid alimony.

Turn To A Trusted Advocate When Custody, Support Or Alimony Requires Enforcement

In a consultation with a trusted, skilled family law attorney at our law firm, explore your legal options for enforcement.

To schedule a consultation about enforcement of a family law court order, call us at 301-850-7349 or complete our online inquiry form. We look forward to hearing from you.