Counseling You Through Life's Difficult Times
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » How can I make my co-parenting experience easier?

How can I make my co-parenting experience easier?

On Behalf of | Sep 27, 2018 | Child Custody

Having the right mindset is key to succeeding in many areas of life, but when you are going through a difficult arrangement, such as co-parenting with a former spouse, suddenly it is not easy to stay upbeat and focused. However, making sure your child has a healthy upbringing in Maryland even if you and your spouse are no longer together is important for your offspring’s future. That is why you should separate your ex-spouse’s performance as a wife or husband from the spouse’s ability to function as a parent.

As explains, you may have had serious issues with your spouse while married, but that does not mean your spouse cannot be a good parent. In other words, your marriage might have failed, but that does not mean the parenting of both you and your ex has failed also. In many instances, children benefit from continuous interaction with both parents, so you want to include your former spouse in your children’s life as much as possible.

Basically, you should look at your former spouse as a partner in parenting and not as an enemy. This means you need to put your child’s interests first. Even if your former wife or husband does things that irritate you, it is more important that your child receive your ex’s love just as your child receives yours.

But what if it is hard to even talk to your ex? Divorces can leave bad feelings between spouses to the point where even being in the same room together is a challenge. Keep in mind that there are many ways to communicate across distances. In addition to phone conversations, you can use phone texts, emails, or a number of organization apps like Google calendars. There are also online resources that allow parents to swap information so they can keep their days with their children organized.

Keep in mind that this article, while written to provide information on child custody issues, does not offer readers any legal advice.

FindLaw Network