Counseling You Through Life's Difficult Times
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » Can I move my child out of country after my divorce?

Can I move my child out of country after my divorce?

On Behalf of | Jul 2, 2021 | Child Custody

Life has not been what you wanted for some time, and you are getting ready to make some changes, including ending your marriage and moving out of the country. The problem — you have a child to consider and are not sure if you can get a custody arrangement that will work with your plans. Achieving a custody agreement that spans international borders can prove a difficult feat, but legal counsel can help you reach terms that ultimately work out best for everyone involved.  


When it comes to child custody terms, several options may be available to you. Such as you receiving sole custody and your ex visitation rights, you receiving visitation rights and your ex sole custody — keeping the child in the United States the majority of the time, shared custody giving you both time with the child in your respective countries. The final terms of your agreement are going to come down to the age of your child, his or her wishes (dep[ending on age), what your spouse wants to do, and ultimately, what will serve the best interests of our child. 

Don’t make a move with your child without an order 

While you may not want to wait for an official child custody agreement to come through, do not make a move out of the country with your child until you have the order in hand. If you do, you could end up facing serious civil and criminal consequences. It isn’t worth it. 

Get help 

There are no guarantees that your custody wishes will be granted. That said, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t push for the terms you feel would best benefit your child. With the right help in your corner, you can achieve a custody order that fits your family’s needs and your future plans. To learn more about international child custody issues, please take a moment and visit our firm’s website.  


FindLaw Network